Veterans: Wake County Register Of Deeds Will Record DD-214s Print
Local Government
By Administrator   
Wednesday, 10 November 2021 17:42
The Wake County Register of Deeds Office records, maintains, and provides certified copies of military separation documents known as a DD-214 Report of Separation for service members at no cost. The DD-214 contains information normally needed to verify military service for benefits, retirement, employment, and membership in veterans' organizations.
There are many benefits for recording your DD-214 with the Wake County Register of Deeds:
Having your DD-214 scanned and stored with the Wake County Register of Deeds will ensure your document will never be lost or damaged.
You’ll always have access to a certified true copy of your DD-214.
Your survivors will know where to obtain access to a certified copy to leverage benefits at the time of a veteran’s death.
There is no charge to record or obtain a copy of a military discharge.  
To Record: The service member or authorized party must provide a government- issued ID and an original copy of the DD-214.  
To Obtain Certified Copies: The service member or authorized party must provide a government-issued ID and complete the request form. 
Click here to download and print the record/request form.  
Authorized parties to record or request include: 
Subject of the record 
Widow or widower of deceased spouse 
Agents and representatives of the subject authorized in writing by the subject 
Authorized agents of Veterans Affairs 
Authorized court official with an interest in assisting the subject 
NC State Archives 
Please call the Wake County Register of Deeds office at 919-856-5460 for more information or email This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it